"This recipe is great for clearing out the fridge of all the odds and ends that seem to accumulate over the course of the week. Although this recipe is mostly meat free you can add chopped bacon and your meat of choice." - Benjamin Conroy, Forbidden Foods Chef
Serves: 4 | Prep Time: 10m | Cook Time: 20m
- 2 cups cooked Forbidden Red Rice
- 2 tbsp peanut oil
- 4 tbsp light soy sauce
- 2 tbsp Fish sauce
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 brown onion finely chopped
- 200g button mushrooms sliced
- 2 carrots chopped finely
- 4 eggs lightly beaten
- 1 stick celery finely chopped
- ½ bunch coriander washed and roughly chopped
- 4 spring onions sliced finely
- 50g roasted peanuts roughly chopped
- Heat a wok or frypan on high heat until nearly smoking. Add onion and carrot and fry for 2-3 minutes or until lightly coloured.
- Add garlic, celery and mushrooms and continue to cook on high heat for another 2 minutes until these ingredients also are lightly coloured.
- Next add the rice and stir to combine all the ingredients evenly fry for another 2-3 minutes.
- Add the egg mix and stir through until cooked and distributed through the rice.
- Taste and season with soy and fish sauces. (depending on your tastebuds you won't need to use them all).
- Serve the rice mix into a dish and sprinkle with peanuts, coriander and spring onions.
Tip: This recipe is a great one for getting rid of vegetables which are sitting in the bottom of the fridge. Try it with some zucchini, capsicum or even eggplant. The most important thing when adding these ingredients is to ensure they are cut up as small as possible to they have time to cook in the wok.
Credit: Chef - Benjamin Conroy, Photography - Bianca Milani.