We just cannot get enough of Kale! This recipe combines the red kale and green kale for a feast with the eyes. It’s a hearty salad, full of texture with walnuts, beetroot squares and storks (Limited waste!) tossed in a zippy honey orange dressing, garnished with a blood orange for a wow factor. Holding it all together is Forbidden Foods organic brown rice, which retains a perfect consistency throughout.
Serves: 4-6 | Prep Time: 30m | Cook Time: 1 Hour
- 1 ½ cups of Forbidden Foods Brown Rice
- 500 grams of fresh beetroot
- 200 grams of walnuts
- Half a bunch of red kale
- Half a bunch of green kale
- Blood red orange (other citrus such as oranges, mandarin or tangelos are fine)
- 2 whole oranges
- Tablespoon of honey
- Table spoon of olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees. Line baking tray with baking paper and drizzle with olive oil.
- Cut beetroot leaves /storks and set aside for salad. Cut beetroot into quarters and place on baking tray, drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with salt & pepper. Roast for 1 hour or until you can poke a fork through them easily. Set to side and cool.
- While beetroot is cooking, cook Forbidden Foods Brown Rice as per instructions on packet.
- Roughly chop kale into short segments. We like to include the stork in our dishes. Place kale into large pot over high heat. Add 2 cups on water, a drizzle of olive oil and a pinch of salt. Let the kale steam in the water for 15 mins, slowing folding the kale over its self every few minutes. They kale should be soft enough to eat yet will still holds its shape. Once cooked drain kale and set side to cool.
- Cut oranges in half and squeeze halved oranges into a small mixing bowl, getting out as much juice as possible, removing pips as you go and discard peels. Add honey, olive oil and salt and pepper to taste. In a small mixing bowl whisk dressing ingredients together or shake in a jar.
- In a large bowl combine, kale, beetroot and rice with hands, coat salad with dressing and continue to mix together using hands.
- Roughly chop walnuts and sprinkle over salad – To garnish peel and slice blood red orange and add into salad.
Credit: Chef - Mel Rajic, Photography - Bianca Milani, Styling - Sarah Egan.