We should all have a repertoire of effortless meals that we can whip out with limited ingredients and this recipes makes the list as a great summer lunch option for two people. We've taken some easily accessible ingredients like canned tuna, spinach and pumpkin to make a delicious brown rice salad. It is also one of those recipes that means any leftovers instantly becomes tomorrows lunch!
Serves: 2 | Prep Time: 20m | Cook Time: 30m
- 1 ½ cups of Forbidden Foods Organic Brown Rice
- 3 x 95g tins of tuna in brine
- 1kg of pumpkin
- 500g of baby spinach, washed and rinsed
- 1/4 of cup pepitas (pumpkin seed kernels)
Dressing - 2 small limes 50ml (1/3 cup) fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 ½ table spoons of sweet chilli
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees. Line baking tray with baking paper and drizzle with olive oil.
- Cut skin off pumpkin and cut into medium sized cubes. Place on baking tray, drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast for 30 mins or until lightly brown and you can poke a fork through them easily. Set to side and cool.
- While pumpkin is cooking, cook Forbidden Foods Brown Rice as per instructions on packet. Set aside once cooked.
- In a frypan add a drizzle of olive oil, add pumpkin seeds, sprinkle with salt and lightly fry. Set aside to cool.
- Combine the lime juice, soy sauce, sesame oil and sweet chilli oil in a small jar, shake to combine.
- Place the brown rice, pumpkin cubes, baby spinach and tuna in a large bowl. Pour over dressing and combine with hands until everything is mixed through. Sprinkle pumpkin seeds over salad and serve.
Credit: Chef - Mel Rajic, Photography - Bianca Milani, Styling - Sarah Egan.