Impress your guests with this extravagant Apple Dessert of 4 Parts that will blow your mind! Made up of soft and fluffy Apple Genoise Sponge which is brought to life by Apple Pastry Cream, Jelly and fizzy Apple Sherbet. Each component adds a deeper layer of flavour that is bound to leave you speechless.
Make sure to tag us in your creations @sensory_mill on Instagram!
Part 1 - Apple Genoise
- 250g granny smith apple(peeled and cleaned weight)
- 300g granulated sugar
- Pinch Citric acid
- 135g eggs, lightly beaten
- 10g corn flour
- 80g plain four
- 35g apple flour
- Preheat oven to 180°C and line a square 20cm x 20cm ray with baking paper and spray with canola oil.
- Mix diced apple with 20g of sugar and citric acid and sous vide on high. Cook in a water bath at 90°C for 30 min or until soft. Transfer to a vitamiser and puree. Cool over an ice bath.
- Combine the corn, apple and plain flour and sieve together 3 times.
- Combine eggs and remaining sugar and whisk on high until ribbon stage, about ten minutes. Fold in the flour mix then the apple puree.
- Bake in oven for 20-25 minutes or until a tested cake skewer comes out clean.
Part 2 - Apple Pastry Creme
- 250ml milk
- 3 egg yolks
- 125g sugar (split into 75g and 50g)
- 30g corn flour
- 18g apple flour (split into 8g and 10g)
- 150g thickened cream
- Place 75g sugar and milk in a small saucepan and bring to simmer over gentle heat.
- Meanwhile place egg yolks and corn flour and 8g Apple flour in a bowl and whisk well to combine.
- Once milk has begun simmering pour half over the egg and flour mix and immediately whisk to combine. Tip the content of the bowl back into the pot and whisk to combine well. Place back over low heat and bring to a simmer to thicken the milk.
- Using a wooden spoon and continue cooking very gently for about 5 minutes. Stirring almost continuously.
- Transfer the pastry crème to a small bowl and line the surface with cling film to prevent a skin forming. Place into fridge and allow to fully chill down.
- Once cooled, place the pastry crème into a stand mixer fitted with a whisk. Whisk on high until silky smooth and it is softer.
- Meanwhile place thickened cream, 10g Apple flour and 50g sugar in another bowl and whisk until soft peaks.
- Fold half of the freshly whipped apple cream into the apple pastry crème. Once combine fold in remaining half. Place into a piping bag and reserve for plating
Part 3 - Apple Flour Sherbet
- 5g baking soda
- 5g citric acid
- 23g caster sugar.
- 15g apple flour
- Place baking soda, citric acid and apple flour into a mortar and pestle and crush to combine.
- Add half the caster sugar and grind lightly so sugar crystals are slightly smaller. Add the last of the sugar and mix to combine. Keep from moisture in an airtight sealed container.
Part 4 - Apple Jelly
- 500g Apple Juice
- 100g Glucose
- 600g Caster Sugar
- 12g Pectin
- 9g Tartaric Acid
- Spray a 24cm x 24cm steel tin with canola spray. Line the tray with cling film, press the clingfilm onto the tray to remove any air bubbles.
- Combine juice and glucose and bring to boil.
- Add 100g caster sugar and pectin and bring back to boil.
- Add remaining caster sugar in four stages bringing back to boil each time.
- Add Tartaric and bring to 110 degrees, set.
- Once the jelly has set, cut into small cubes and dust with Apple Flour Sherbet.
- Slice Apple Genoise into desired shape and size and place on plate.
- Pipe Apple Pastry Crème around or onto the Apple Genoise in desired amounts and design.
- Place and scatter Apple Jelly onto plate. Sprinkle extra Apple Sherbet over.
- Serve and enjoy.
Made this recipe? Share your creation with us on Instagram @sensory_mill.