If you look into most cupboards you'll find a can of sardines. They are a simple and easy protein with loads of omega-3 fatty acids. We've create a easy recipe utilising sardines that can be prepared in 10 minutes! The black rice & quinoa grains fills the salad out into a quick and easy lunch or dinner meal for one.
Serves: 1 | Prep Time: 10 mins | Cook Time: 5 mins
- Forbidden Black Rice & Quinoa Organic Instant Rice 125g
- 3 spears asparagus (depending on size) sliced thickly on diagonal
- 2 stalks broccolini cut into 1” lengths
- 1/4 avocado cut into chunks
- 1 Red onion, sliced
- 2 tbs pistachios
- 1 Lime, cut in half
- 1 small can of sardines
- Extra virgin olive oil for seasoning
- Herbs - basil, parsley, either roughly chopped or torn
- Salt and pepper
- Boil water in a kettle and pour into a bowl. Place the sliced asparagus and cut up broccolini in the bowl of boiling water, salt to taste. Set aside for 5 minutes.
- Put the red onion in a bowl and squeeze lime juice over onion. Set aside.
- Heat the Forbidden Black Rice & Quinoa Organic Instant Rice 125g as per instructions on the pack. One heated place black rice & quinoa into a bowl.
- Drain the water from the asparagus and broccolini.
- Place the asparagus, broccolini, diced avocado and herbs in the Black Rice & Quinoa bowl. Season with olive oil, salt and pepper. Mixed all together.
- Drain the sardines can and pat dry the sardines with paper towel. Lay sardines on top of rice bowl. Sprinkle red onion over the top of the sardines.
- Sprinkle with pistachios.
- Garnish with lime wedge.
Credit: Chef - Emma Parker, Stylist - Sarah Egan, Producer & Director - Yolantha Morrigan, Director of Photography - Joel Egan, Runner - Justine Scheppers, Photographer - Bianca Milani