These Quinoa Crumpets are a different take on the traditional crumpets. Perfect as an appetiser or for a light lunch, these crumpets are refreshingly light.
The recipe is split into 2 sections - the crumpets and the filling, so pick and choose which you make, but we recommend them together!
Quinoa Flour Crumpets
- 250ml Warm Water(ideally 38 degrees)
- 5g Dried Yeast
- 5g Baking Powder
- 1g Bi-carb Soda
- 1g Salt
- 150g Bakers Flour
- 100g Quinoa Flour
- Place all dry ingredients in a bowl and gently whisk to combine.
- Slowly add water and incorporate to form a smooth thin batter. Transfer to a 2lt jug and cover with cling film. Place in a warm spot to allow the crumpet mix to begin rising. In a warm 30 degree spot this will take 1.5 to 2 hours.
- Place a heavy based pan over high heat. Place 5 stainless steel rings, sprayed with oil into the pan and allow to heat up. Add vegetable oil into the bottom of the pan, enough for about 0.5 cm deep.
- Once pan is hot reduce heat to low.
- Very carefully remove the cling film. DO NOT mix as it will disturb the batter. You want to keep as many of those little air bubble you have in there.
- Using a small ladle pour batter into each of the moulds to come up half way of each mould. As soon as the batter hits the pan it should sizzle gently. No sizzle???? Pan is too cold. Allow pan to heat a bit longer. Too noisy lots of sizzle?? Too hot. Turn heat off and allow 5 minutes for the pan to cool down.
- Repeat for each ring until all 5 are filled. Allow to cook for about 4-6 minutes or until the bubble on the outer third of the crumpet have set, the batter will have changed to a dull matt colour, inside will still be shiny and whiter in colour.
- Remove the ring and cook another minute until the batter is almost cooked through to the centre. Turn crumpet over for about 30 seconds then remove from pan to a wire rack to drain and cool.
Spanner Crab and Avocado Cream
- 100g Spanner Crab Meat, cooked (other crab meat will work!)
- 20g White Quinoa
- 20g Black Quinoa
- 20g Red Quinoa
- 20ml Olive Oil
- 1 lime, zested and juiced
- 1 Avocado, perfectly ripe
- 5 Coriander Leaves
- 1 tbsp Mayonnaise
- Pinch Cayenne pepper
- Place a pan over medium heat, add the oil and add quinoa to toast until fragrant and begins to change colour. Add 200 ml water and bring to a gentle simmer. Turn heat down low and cook until all the water has been absorbed. Place on a tray to cool.
- Peel avocado and dice into 0.5 cm pieces into a bowl and squeeze lime juice over. Stir briefly.
- Add in cooked quinoa, crab meat, mayonnaise, pinch salt, pinch cayenne and quarter of the lime zest. Gently stir and taste.
- Set aside until ready to use.
Cut the crumpets in half through the horizon and fill with the crab quinoa mix. Tear some of the coriander leaves on top then replace the lids of the crumpets.
Made this recipe? Share your creation with us on Instagram @sensory_mill!