A gorgeous Saffron and chicken pilaf. A great family dish which chicken drumsticks baked in lemon & herbs, white rice and saffron infused chicken stock. Excited yet?!
Serves: 4-6 | Prep Time: 15 mins | Cook Time: 25 mins
- 250g Organic White Rice
- 1 litre of chicken stock
- Pinch of saffron
- 6 chicken drum sticks
- 1 large onion
- 1 lemon
- .5 bunch flat leaf parsley
- .5 bunch coriander
- 2 cloves garlic
- 100ml olive oil
- Bring the stock to the boil with the saffron threads set aside
- Pre-heat oven at 200 degrees.
- Boil the stock with the saffron threads then set aside.
- In a wide short sided pot or deep sided fry pan roughly 25/30cm wide with 10cm depth and in the olive oil and brown the chicken legs then and set aside.
- Sauté onion and garlic with a zest of the lemon in the olive oil until the onion is going clear and smelling aromatic. Try not to colour too much.
- Add in the rice and saúte in the oil for 1 minute to coat in oil and heat.
- Add the browned chicken legs back to the onion and rice mix.
- Add the warm stock to the rice and bring to the boil.
- Place into the pre heated oven for 15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow to stand for 5 minutes with the lid on.
- While the chicken is resting roughly chop the remaining parsley and coriander, dice the lemon into small pieces and scatter over the rice with add any remaining juice along with the herbs to finish.
Credit: Chef - Laura Neville, Photographer - Bianca Milani